View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwing View Post
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I'd just like to throw out there how bewildered I am about these recommendations: what's the point of using a VPN to pretend that you're in the US/UK, enter a US/UK address and then enter a US billing address for your credit card if you don't have any such credit card (i.e. a credit card registered with a US billing address)? If you did have such a thing, these georestrictions are easy to get round right? Aren't we talking about people who don't have a US credit card here?

By the way I have a VPN on all the time (I "seem" to be in the US), so if there is actual solution based on this I'd love to hear it!
Most bookstores with geo-restrictions only sell e-books to people with an US billing address, but they do accept international credit cards. They do not verify the actual billing address of the credit card with the credit card company, they just accept the address you type in yourself.
So in my case I have a Dutch Visa card with a Dutch billing address and I use that card to buy books at B&N using a US billing address in my account.
This way people like me without a US credit card are still able to buy e-books.

In the case of B&N even people from the US that do have an US credit card have to use a VPN if they want to buy books when they are outside the US because of the IP-address check.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote