View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Frankly, you can't be confident you won't lose your books because the Opus or the Sony supports the EPub "Standard."
Actually, I can be completely confident:

- Adobe's DRM is completely broken. Any books I buy are converted to a non-encrypted format
- Failing that, I can be sure that any device I buy does indeed support this DRM'd version. At the worst case, that means that I buy an older device.
- Regarding the ePub standard changing, it still does not matter. ePub is a collection of html files, css style sheets, graphic images and supporting meta data. Change to any other format and I can adapt.

Quote:
...There is no guarantee that Adobe will be be any more trustworthy in the future.
That's true, and it's fortunate that I'm not depending on Adobe to be trustworthy. Even if they're not trustworthy, it is in the device maker's best interest to support common formats. Just about everyone but Amazon has figured that out already.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote