View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Windows 7 RC runs Photoshop CS3 on Hello Kitty Netbook

http://technabob.com/blog/2009/04/01...photoshop-cs3/

Amazing that an 1.6ghz ATOM processor based netbook can run something as CPU intensive as PS CS3. And running using Aero to boot. I despise Vista and saw zero compelling reason to move in that direction, and never will, it is Windows Millennium all over again. That said as much of a skeptic I would ever move to Win 7 might have been dashed on the rocks ofter that video.

So, what is the tie in to ebook devices? Why our good buddy Mary Lou. In her presentation about the release of the 3Qi displays she mentions that the processor wars are done, beyond specific high end needs it is to the point that the underlying hardware is completely immaterial. I passed that off as a fair bit of marketing/fund raising hyperbole. Now after seeing this video, I am actually downloading the current RC for Win7 Ultimate. If we had a very powerful OS, the 3Qi display AND the ability to run a few of our important apps like Excel, Word, Open Office, OneNote, EverNote or whatever as well as something like Photoshop, on the very same device I can use to comfortably read ebooks, then to me eink is a "flat cat" for anything but a pocket reading device.

I have already decided I certainly will buy a pocket device because, as I have mentioned, it can be nice to just take it along a small size reader to a fav local eatery or even a sack lunch in the park, sit in the sun and read. And if I knew I needed outside but still wanted to read a bit then get some more work done in nice weather...boom out comes the net-slate/tablet reader device. And even though I do not at all like eink to read on, outside it's very, very good. Even on my K1.

From that video there is no chance I even consider a reading only device EVEN if it has a 3Qi display, unless they pass along the savings of the cost for the display. MFg's and their mouthpieces have whined about the high cost of eink displays, now with the 3Qi it is put up or get trampled by the competition time. My money is on companies like Asus getting most of the business. Of course ONLY if Win7 actually delivers as that video implies...in case you don't know, Photoshop can be one of the most demanding apps around. And in fairness the tasks they showed were very basic. Still, that is runs, at all is great but to run with some acceptable speed is even better.

With that and pretty much ANY desktop based reading software out there able to run on the Windows platform, that is a winner for everyone...but a down side I see is the DRM thing, Win7 only keeps that alive in the minds of the publishers.

Just thought the potential is impressive, and even as this is a very early RC, I already had ordered a new 500gb HDD for my laptop so I can install Win7 on one of my other drives to play with...no room for a dual boot, my 160GB drive is down to around 50GB and that is way to close to full.

Win7, FBReader, 3Qi and the ability to work on a 10-12" device OUTSIDE....OUTSTANDING...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote