View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #169
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
My comment was a one line comment and apparently not very clear. The original poster basically asked if Amazon could provide a PDF viewer for the Kindle 2 with a software update or if there was a hardware requirement for the PDF functionality. Here's a more indepth answer that I hope will clear up any confusion.

The PDF viewer functionality is provided by software so technically it is possible for Amazon to provide a PDF viewer for the Kindle 2 (and Kindle 1 as well). However, the Kindle 2 only has a 6" screen, which is just slightly larger than a 3″ x 5″ index card, and from a practicle matter this sized screen is just too small for displaying many PDFs. (snip)
Ah, yes, the practicle--the smallest possible unit of practicality: inherently indivisible. ;-)

But seriously, you could view the pdf page in landscape mode, half an A4 page at a time on the K2 screen. If you also cropped the margins, you'd be at something like 90% full size--like the KDX screen in portrait mode. This would be somewhat suboptimal, I grant you, but not completely terrible.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote