View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #231
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
And for what it is worth, my label of dishonesty was given to a specific situation where a person goes to a store, fully intending yo buy online, and makes use of a salesperson's time and expertise to get his or her remaining questions on the product answered.

When I don't intend to buy that day or necessarily at that store, but have questions, I make sure to preface any salesperson conversation with, "I am just looking," or, "I am in the information gathering phase." If I planned - in a way that no one could change - to purchase from a different store or online, I would say, "I am not going to buy this from you, but would you mind answering some questions?"

That isn't so hard to do and keeps things above board. It also gives the, often on commission, salesperson the opportunity to decline to spend time with me and to better devote his or her time with paying customers.

I never said browsing where one is still open to being persuaded to purchase at the store was dishonest.
That's ridiculous. No one talks to sales people that way, and no one should. That's just being a jerk and boasting that you INTEND to waste his time, (even if you are really not doing so, because turning shoppers into buyers is his very job). If you insist on full-disclosure, you might want to say: "I've been considering getting this on Amazon because it's cheaper--can you give me a reason I should buy it here instead?" Same info, less jerkiness.

Everyone is quick to say "I'm just looking" and we who have worked in sales are trained get through that and try to close a sale.

If you are in the store, you have not made up your mind. If you had made up your mind, you would not have need to look or ask questions. Period.
You may be planning to buy elsewhere, but if you are in the store, the salesman has the chance to make you change your plans, or even to get you buy something else entirely.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote