View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd say your recommendation is spot on, skip the iMac and go for a MacBook Pro (or other laptop) as the top priority. If she's got the budget for an iPad great, but I would put it second on the list for sure (even with a bluetooth kbd).
To the laptop option I'd also add an external harddrive, for automatic backups, in case the laptop gets stolen or trashed.

Regarding iPad, I've found I usually prefer using the laptop instead. Probably because I don't commute or travel much anymore and never got in the habit of using the tablet for things like web surfing or email. But I didn't grow up with cell-phones and tablets, texting and twitter, etc. I didn't read textbooks on a tablet in high school or university. An iPad would also still need a computer anyway to back-up important files.

But if I were a student and wanted to read textbooks in the cafeteria or student lounge or on campus on a sunny day, I'd rather use a tablet such as iPad than a laptop. So a tablet would be, as you said, a convenience but not as necessary as a computer. I'm not sure iPad would be the best tablet for reading textbooks though.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote