View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer.jayne View Post
Hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm debating whether or not to get a Kindle or a Kobo. These are basically my only two options. I'm not considering anything else. And I live in Canada.

I have heard from just about everyone that the Kindle is ultimately better. However, I want to be able to buy books from the sony store, kindle store and the kobo store. I want to make sure that if I do get a Kindle, is there a way to convert epub files after I buy them so that they are readable on my Kindle??

Also, wi-fi is a must for me. So I'm wondering if with the Kobo I can go on Facebook and other sites? Coles and Chapters are telling me I can't but I also heard from another source that you can. ALSO, with the Kindle 3, can I go on Facebook with their wi-fi?

Any help/experience/information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jennifer
Couple of things ...

I do not recommend you using a browser on any eink device, regardless of the brand. The Internet experience is really poor. My Kindle 3 has browsing capabilities but I barely use it, mainly for buying books or browse forums (mobile versions) But yes, I believe you can browse Facebook (I have not, from my Kindle, not sure how it looks like or navigate though)

Regarding the brand, you should check the main bookstores for each device. The ereader is just a tool. If you buy books mainly from Sony but got a Kindle, you will end converting all the time and breaking DRM protection (depending of the format and store) which can be illegal or problematic, depending of your computer skills and country.

Now, Sony and Kindle are true International Devices. Means, you should get customer support (or a better one) if something goes wrong.

My suggestion:
Check 5 to 10 titles on each bookstore, compare prices, and see which one provides a better deal for you. The company or device which supports that store, should be the 1st one on your list. On my personal case, that is or was Kindle and the reason why I sold my 1st gen Nook: yes, I had epub, lending from public libraries (at that time) that I never use, so the device was not useful at all for me.

Hope that helps,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote