View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacheslav View Post
Yes, I am aware of that. This crazy scheme was definitely conceived while smoking hashish It means that to make the 2.0.x firmware usable someone has to port a real filemanager like Thunar of adapt the file browsing backend part of the 1.x firmware. I would be happy to get rid of the "bookshelf" UI.
As rvs has already mentioned disabling indexing completely is not an option because even SD card view gets the files information from the DB, it doesn't parse the folder contents each time.

Regarding Viacheslav's problem... 100k+ books are too many for what DR developers thought would be common user cases... not only the software, hardware itself (CPU, memory...) is not sized for that amount of books (btw, how much is the size of your global.db file?)... so it's not fair to blame them, in fact it's your own issue because you didn't study the limits of the device ;-)

Me myself use a 4GB SD card with over 5000 books, and I can't use Books view either due to CTB/DB slowness. Thus, I'm using Shortcuts and SD views.

As posible solutions I can think on different combined ways:

1. The ugly hack
Indexing is automatically started by sysd each time it detects a card is mounted, calling ctb which then run mdbindex program. Modifying this behaviour implies lots of ugly source changing, so I don't like it.
But you can rename "mdbindex" program file name to anything else (f.e. "mdbindex.real"), this way the indexing would not be performed. A good thing should be to have a "mdbindex" executable file that accepts same arguments but do nothing to avoid error messages.
Then, each time you add/delete/modify SD card contents, you should run "mdbindex.real" manually and leave it all the night to finish.
Yes, ugly, but quite easy and better than what you have now

2. A new dedicated files browser
This could be nice for everybody... but someone has to get hands dirty and write it.
In fact this is a project in my TODO list for some time ago and I even wrote a somehow working file manager sometime ago for the Iliad in lua language that works for DR as well. Anyway, it lacks DR integration and book opening but it is an advanced working point.

LATER:
- I've read other people has already explained what I say
- Mackx's ideas: I'll comment them in another post

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote