Thread: Seriousness Notre Dame de Paris
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is just plain wrong, Otin. All the great mediaeval cathedrals of Europe have permanent teams of stonemasons who maintain and repair the structure of the building. Their craftsmanship has been handed down in an unbroken line from one generation to another over the centuries. This skill was well illustrated by the repairs made to York Minster (one of the finest cathedrals in England) when a devastating fire destroyed a large part of the roof when it was struck by lightning in 1984. The skills required to repair and rebuild mediaeval buildings are alive and well.

Some pictures from the York Fire:

Attachment 170750

Attachment 170749

Visit York Minster today and you wouldn't know there'd been a fire.
I hadn't known that. Very interesting. As I recall Westmister palace (I think) had been subjected to a fire as well and probably required some restoration as a result as well. I can't recall what started the fire but I remember hearing about it on the news at the time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote