View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52novels View Post
When you want to use small caps on the first line of a new chapter, rather than creating faux small caps (watch out for proper nouns!) using spans---while deciding how many words to apply them to so that it doesn't look like poo when a line wraps---then ::first-line is ridiculously efficient.

And you and I both know there are some publishers you can develop this way and tell them "the device doesn't support the feature yet" and they'll be fine with that, and there are others who're gonna want you to do the full monty. Pick your battles.

As for denying the existence of K7, we're basically talking about 1st/2nd gen Kindles and DX at this point... none of which Amazon supports. I suppose there are lots of people still running Windows XP and people who refuse to give up their Power Mac G5s, too. Meanwhile, software development moves on. There's gotta be some point at which we determine we'll move on, as well. Perhaps a good place to start is when the device-makers go first.

Don't get me wrong... I think we have an obligation to ensure what we do degrades well and doesn't break the reading experience for people using devices that don't support something. I just don't think the obligation to ensure a wholly consistent experience no matter what is as compelling when device-makers, for whatever reason, choose not support something.
Rob,

Generally, and in principal, I concur with you. I just seem to have a high percentage of clients who don't even know how to download from a browser, much less embrace "graceful degradation," AND they are definitely full-monty-ers. Either that, or I erred and spoiled them. Ah, well. (Don't get me started about the multi-times-per-week explanations about how ADE does not, when open to full-monitor size, and smallest font, really emulate an e-reader with 3-6 "pages," either.)

(I can't believe I haven't yet been thrown off of MR for not ever playing a video game. I was sure I was going to catch total s**t for that!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote