View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What do you think are the best features of nook over a similar amazon or kobo product?
Expandable memory is the most obvious advantage but it really is only an advantage if you root the Nook because B&N has otherwise crippled it. For all practical purposes, a non-rooted Nook with even a 32GB SD card has about the same memory available for sideloading as the latest Kindle.

For me there really is no advantage for the non-rootable newest Nook, the Glow 2013. The NST, on the other hand, has a MUCH better screen than either the Glows or the Kindle PaperWhite 1 (and probably the II as well though I've only spent a brief time with it). Even though it requires a light source at times, it's still my favorite of the 3 that I own.

The other advantage of a NST (or Original Glow) vs a Kindle (*any* Kindle) is that the Kindle really isn't rootable, just jail-breakable. That's more than semantics because rooting is much more complete, powerful and, with Nook Manager, is MUCH easier to do.

That being said, the NST will become scarcer in the future so the Kindle PaperWhite will soon be pretty much the only game in town UNLESS Kobo gets their distribution (and software) mojo back. Given the Kindle competitors' missteps lately, it's almost like they all own shares of Amazon. A LOT of shares
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote