View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hmmmm.....not a single comment after 5 hours of posting.

Perhaps Sony should never have given away anything.

Don
now, let's not be hasty !!

i don't have a sony, so i couldn't benefit from their promotions. but, based on (for instance) the demand that the recent Tor giveaways generated, as well as your own experience with fictionwise and the generally enthusiastic response even to just a reduced price (see the recent frenzy over the Dictionary which was sold for a fraction of its original price after a micropay rebate at Fictionwise) i would extrapolate that if sony began to give away ebooks regularly they would 1. definitely generate a lot more sales of content and 2. possibly also create enough enthusiasm (if they managed the content side well) that they would raise consciousness of ebooks in general if only through word of mouth, and sell more devices as well. the second one may be a stretch.

but i do think that giving people ebooks for free is a lot like giving away the first hit of crack. and we all know where that leads.

i think it's definitely a sound business plan for any publisher, and there's plenty of evidence to back that up.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote