View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #27
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The new law deals with works that were published as recently as 2001 -- i.e. 11 years ago.

It's not a duration issue.
I don't see how that makes it not a duration issue or at least related to duration. One of the negative effects of long copyright is that more obscure works tend to be lost before they can reach the public domain, and the stated principle of this Act is to allow the public to access works that are unavailable.

If I were to draft a new law on this subject, why would I limit myself to books that are decades old? Wouldn't it make more sense to start more recently to prevent obscure works from being lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Mickey Mouse deserves forever copyright
Ya, he sure does, except for the fact that:

(a) copyright isn't a property right;

(b) it defeats the purpose of copyright (balancing creator rights versus those of the public);

(c) it would involve ignoring the entire history of copyright; and

(d) it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 03-01-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote