View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
jwa
Master of Forgotten Zen
jwa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Customizing a PDF to EPUB

I am using a Sony PRS-T1 to read Bruce Eckel's Thinking in Java which is a PDF and is a pain in the butt to read on the Sony. I would like to read it as an EPUB but the standard conversion doesn't handle the embedded Java samples. These are nicely delimited by lines containing '//:' and '//:~'. Several of Bruce's books are available in PDF or HTML but EPUB would be nice.

This should be easily implemented in Calibre but the documentation is a bit confusing. I can do this myself if I can find my way around Calibre. Is there anything more informative than the 'manual'? I have found the code in the 'debug' data written to the 'input' directory. I have done a lot of XSLT (some years ago) and can this for myself but I want to minimize the 1st derivative of the learning curve. (I accept that it must be positive).

Where are the XSLT transformations that are applied and where can I insert some customization?

I know that PDF is nontrivial but most of the work is done. All I need is to tag certain parts of the XHTML for a monospaced font. I see how the existing stuff is marked for CSS, I just need to tailor my own.

Thanks in advance.

I have all ready cropped the PDF but it is still a pain to use in PDF.

Last edited by jwa; 06-18-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: PS
jwa is offline   Reply With Quote