View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #20
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Aren't the CPUs used in a lot of the ereaders quite old? You could probably use an updated CPU with better speed and better baterry life?

I'm just guessing.

But in general, I believe that for these portable devices, the CPUs get faster with each generation and the power consumption varies little. I'm thinking of my sony 505 vs my glo hd, or my iphone se vs iphone 11.
Yes they are quite old. The Kindle Paperwhite 4 uses a 1GHz iMX.6 sololite single core CPU built on a 40nm process. Amazon put the same CPU in the 2nd gen Paperwhite back in 2013. Modern iPhones use a 5nm process which allows for a much faster CPU at much lower power usage than would be available with a 40nm process.

The Boox devices use newer low-to-mid range Qualcomm Snapdragons built on 14nm processes. To me, my Nova 2 feels considerably faster than my Kobo Aura One was (which has the same CPU as a Kindle Paperwhite 4!).
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote