View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Mama Don't Take My Alcohol A-Waaaaay!

I think I'm less disturbed by the idea of additional recreational drugs in the future than I am at the idea that you (or any author for that matter) are self-censoring your characters to eliminate the use of alcohol. Shades of Prohibition!

Alcohol, it's production, consumption, appreciation - and abuse - has been around for millennia and will be around for millennia in the future. While no one doubts that it is possible to abuse alcohol, far too many people choose to imbibe without suffering immediate or long-term negative effects. In my mind, to 'white-out' the use of alcohol is to buy into the idea that we have a 'duty' to control the exposure of our readers to what some might feel uncomfortable reading. We wouldn't want to 'offend' the prudes out there now would we?

Me, after reading the post, I have this intense desire to start building a still in my backyard (It's near midnight where I am.) in order to make a batch of 'shine.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote