View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #66
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just picking the same sorts of nits that rlauzon is picking with his arguments. It's just too easy to find a platform that doesn't have something other platform(s) do.
And (as usual it seems) you completely missed my point in doing so.

Any eBook format must be:
1. Open - meaning that it should be able to be converted to any other format.
2. Standard - meaning that the full specifications are documented.

If an eBook is not open and standard, then it is worth less than the paper version. It is, in effect, a leased book because, at some point, it will not be readable.

Since we seem to be focusing on the MobiPocket format lately, I've been picking on that format.

The MobiPocket reader supports 2 formats: HTML in a PalmDOC format and the MobiPocket format based on Open eBook standard (but using a closed, proprietary file system to store the files).

Currently, the only way to make a MobiPocket eBook is by using the closed, proprietary software that MobiPocket provides. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to reverse a MobiPocket eBook (i.e. turn it back into the Open eBook files).

This makes MobiPocket a poor choice for eBooks.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote