View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to its own thread
I have thought about this in the past. It makes a lot of sense to respect the levels of a hierarchical item. Unfortunately it isn't easy to do. For performance reasons we keep the possible 2-level hierarchy (first letters, items with those first letters) in the database. The code would drastically change because we would now have N levels. Another problem is that the metadata for a book does not specify which columns are hierarchical. This is specified on a library basis, so we would need to remember what library a book came from. I will keep studying the issue. Perhaps some day a good solution will appear out of the ether.

As for hiding read books, why not delete them off the device? I suppose that you might want to keep your entire library on your device, which makes deleting books undesirable. Another solution would be to create that yes/no column in calibre and maintain it there. You would then use search in CC to select read or unread books. All of CC's sorting and grouping functions work on a search subset.

The "Read" item brings us back to a discussion we had in a thread some time back: the ability to pass metadata back from CC to calibre. This isn't something that calibre currently supports. As noted in that other post, I can in theory add that support to calibre, but then I need to determine how to do it in a way that is not too CC-specific and that won't cause calibre to blow up. I also need to work out how to deal with simultaneous changes to the data. Yet again: I am still thinking about it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote