Thread: EPub pagination
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Even though I'm told I should be using primarily Epub files with my Sony 505 I still convert most to LRF because my Epub files won't paginate properly.
You should use whatever format you prefer. In your case you seem to enjoy the features of lrf files over the features of epub files. There is nothing wrong with using LRF files as the format of choice for your device.

Quote:
For some strange reason I actually like to see how many pages there are in the book I'm reading and move through them one at a time. I also like to have it repaginate when I change font sizes.
I prefer to see how many pages I have left, not how many screens I have left. The pages represented by epub don't equate to a printed book but they give me a better sense of a real book then seeing 2700 pages for a book that is around 400 pages simply because I changed the font size.

I also switched to epub because there were many times that my reader would reboot during pagination when switching font sizes. I grew tired of this happening so I changed formats.

Quote:
With my Epub files I get page numbers like 4-5 etc. Is there a way to correct this?
This is by design. Adobe's Epub renderer in the 505 assigns 1 page for every 1024 bytes of information. The concept being that if an entire reading club or class had the same reader and the same version of the ebook then no matter what font size they chose they could all refer to the same page in the book and they would all know what was being referred to.

So you get the 4-5 down at the bottom when page 5 is starting on the screen you're on. To avoid reading glasses I use a larger font and it takes around 8 screens to get through 1 page. About every 8 or 9th screen I get a dual page like 4-5 down at the bottom to let me know a new page is starting on that screen.

The bottom line though is no one should be telling you that you "should be using primarily Epub files" as you indicated. The Sony 505 can use multiple formats, I think LRF is the cleanest looking format.

But for various reasons (some not discussed here) I chose epub as my format of choice.

Use LRF and enjoy your reader.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-09-2011 at 11:07 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote