Thread: New Kobo: Nia
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #208
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The thing is, to do anything useful, you'll need to write some code yourself. Most existing webapps are too heavy or modern for the Kobo, and native apps will need porting.

You could start with making a clock and running it in browser in full-screen, but I suspect you're looking for something a bit more complex. If you have any smart home devices (lights, etc), you could make a dashboard in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You could also make a weather app.

If you want something a bit more interactive or want the battery to last significantly longer, you probably would want to look into making native apps. If it only needs to display something, I'd suggest using a shell script and FBInk. If it needs to be interactive, I'd suggest writing a KOReader plugin in Lua, or using Qt (someone made a QPA for the Kobo a while ago).
Actually, a clock would be a good place to start. It's stupidly simple and can be programmed entirely in JS (whether it will work in the Kobo web browser is another matter).

A quote of the day would also be a good first try - I'd have to get and parse an RSS feed, and then display it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote