Thread: New Kobo: Nia
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #207
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have a degree in CS but haven't used it for years. My skill level is closer to implementing a solution than coding one.
The thing is, to do anything useful, you'll need to write some code yourself. Most existing webapps are too heavy or modern for the Kobo, and native apps will need porting.

You could start with making a clock and running it in browser in full-screen, but I suspect you're looking for something a bit more complex. If you have any smart home devices (lights, etc), you could make a dashboard in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You could also make a weather app.

If you want something a bit more interactive or want the battery to last significantly longer, you probably would want to look into making native apps. If it only needs to display something, I'd suggest using a shell script and FBInk. If it needs to be interactive, I'd suggest writing a KOReader plugin in Lua, or using Qt (someone made a QPA for the Kobo a while ago).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote