View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #134
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When I think bookstore, for this discussion, I think a store who's primary business is selling new books. From the Google's I did, I don't think there were any (or few) outliers (art supply, news stands, airports). There were some used book stores. There were some college.

If you are only talking B&N than fine. But if you are talking historically, IMO, for my definition of bookstores, they are not just in/were in the biggest cities. I seem to recall driving through towns in the 70s and 80s, and many smaller cities had bookstores; they weren't the size of the modern B&N, but they were not boutiques and they sold new books, and you could order what they didn't carry. My town had a bookstore, and it wasn't even in the top 100 for population in our state.
When I moved to Twin Falls, Idaho in the early 90s, there was a local book store downtown, a B. Dalton (or Waldenbooks?) in the mall, a Hastings (which also sold records and rented and sold videos, but the book section was the most prominent), and the "new" Barnes & Noble in one of the strip malls around the mall. The local bookstore went out of business shortly after the B&N came in. This town had a population of 28,000 in 1990, so it wasn't huge. I can't remember exactly when B. Dalton/Waldenbooks went out, but I think in the early 2000s. I think Hastings lasted until 2007/2008 recession (maybe longer). Now B&N is the only local choice in Twin Falls.

In the 80s almost every mall had either a Pickwick, B. Dalton or Waldenbooks (sometimes a Waldenbooks and a B. Dalton). Most towns I lived in also had local bookstores downtown.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote