View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 02:53 AM   #126
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The bolded part was "too expensive", which brought up the matter of NYC rents because a lot of people are counting on B&N's new owners coming in with "deep pockets", to save Nook.

Daunt firing all new employees over the lockdowns, delaying publisher payments, firing the book buyers, and closing shop in NYC over money all suggest the pockets he's working with aren't all that deep.

So far, they've opened a couple of new format, smaller stores, but nowhere near as many as they've closed.

As for growing the chain I don't recall him saying it directly but rather hinting at it, by saying the US is "underbookstored".

I took the statement as a negative at the time because it showed a lack of understanding of US population distribution and the modern US retail environment.

Even small bookstores need big populations within a reasonable distance and the reason B&M bookstores have been withering is because "reasonable distance" has been shrinking all decade. (For all B&M; hence the mall apocalypse.) The number of population centers maintaining enough foot traffic to support even a small B&M store is lower than the existing store coubt so I seriously doubt there is room for much if any expansion, even with the steady closure of Independent stores.

And that was before the lockdowns.

My expectation is he will be closing big stores and opening new, smaller ones but the net will be a (quiet) reduction in store count.
Overall I don't have alot to debate. But I do think connecting all the brick and morter stuff to the future of the Nook is a leap.

Barnes and Noble's brick and mortar strategy of mega-stores everywhere is just not viable and changing it by closing larger stores and replacing them with smaller ones seems reasonable.

I just don't know that that has anything to do with their ereaders.

Now, look. I'm not expecting a huge cash infusion to the Nook. All I really got out of the original message is that B&N had abandoned any sort of development of the Nook and sales of ebooks. He didn't think that was a good idea and there would be some investment of some sort.

Investing in selling in ebooks and then perhaps using that to allow their international stores to start selling ebooks (branded under a different name if Nook is so tarnished internationally) doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world. Especially since B&N already has all the basics in place. They aren't starting from the ground floor.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote