Thread: Remarkable 2
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #33
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Thanks! I sent them a tech question, but maybe somebody here knows. Do any of the alternate readers, or possibly the OS itself suppose onboard encryption? It mentions encrypted cloud storage and fine transfer, bt there's no indication that you can protect the documents that are retained on the device itself.
I don't think this is likely to be different between rM2 and rM1, so my guess is, probably not. My rM1 offers to lock the device with a password, an option that I have never enabled; but encrypting the documents would make the device much more cumbersome to use - in my opinion, its strength is enabling you to work with a document, then quickly switch to another, let it go to sleep, wake up fast...

If you have to type in a password every time, plus the time (and CPU) for decryption, you'll lose much of the efficiency.

I ordered the newer version, despite already owning the older one. If it's just more of the same, but slightly faster and with a bit more battery life, it's still a very good device for my use cases (reading PDFs, annotating them, taking handwritten notes). It's probably also very good if you want to sketch, as it's obviously what it was intended for.

For other uses, I don't think it will be very good. Storage is limited; no light; and it doesn't natively support third-party apps.

To be honest, I'm not even sure the differences between the two versions warrant buying a new device altogether, but hey, I ordered during the COVID lockdown; I wasn't losing any income and was spending much less than usual... so I could afford it.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote