View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #83
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth
I heard GRR Martin still uses Wordstar!
Offtopic a bit, but I'm kinda curious how that workflow goes, with wordstar being so ancient and him presumably running it on ancient hardware, how does he get the files from his computer to the publisher?
That is the point. The WordStar is so ancient that on the computer running it it is impossible to do anything else but write. Perfect distraction-free writing. Also, you will not be wasting any time wrestling with styles, formatting, ... just pure writing.
Oh ... and the Wordstar doesn't try to be helpful. It does no spell check, it doesn't capitalize letters unless you press Shift with the key, doesn't do any automatic formatting you have to undo - actually, any of the mainstream word processors can be configured that way, after more of less tweaking and frustrated desk-banging, but Wordstar is configured like that after you load it from an 8" floppy disk or drum memory, or perforated tale or whatever media you prefer ;-)

I have not found any interview or article where he describes how he exports the text for his publisher or how he makes a back-up of his work. Such an old DOS machine can fail at any moment. I want to believe he is prepared for that eventuality.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote