View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #82
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@NotANormalNerd: Here goes nothing .

Should be unpacked in / (i.e., like a KoboRoot tarball).

Warning: it'll eat a 10MB chunk of space in the rootfs, because git is a multi-call binary, and we can't have symlinks in the userstore, and I really don't want thirty copies of git for each subcommand .
I tried a mixed approach, but it didn't quite work for everything, so, there.

It should be setup to expect terrible & crappy things (i.e., vfat, no symlinks, terrible fs performance, crappy libc, no iconv, ...), so it *should* behave mostly okay, given the terrible conditions it's going to run in.

Things I could salvage:

* Most of those terrible conditions as stated above, thanks to git's many wonderful compatibility knobs .
* Feeding it a real shell (ZSH)
* Feeding it a real editor (nano)

Things I couldn't salvage (non-exhaustive):

* Feeding it a real pager (nano -v "works", but doesn't actually allow paging in this context, for some reason, which kind of defeats the purpose). Meaning you end up with the default crappy/old busybox less, which doesn't quite understand what's happening to it, but sorta works.

EDIT: Meh, not the first time bb's less has annoyed me. Let's ship the real deal.

EDIT²: less & libpcre2 will move to the main package on next rebuild. Can't symlink less so as not to break stock symlinks, but the ZSH config will be updated to use it.

(Speaking of, in the meantime, unset PAGER (or fix it) to have a shiny less in git).

EDIT³: less & pager issues fixed in current rebuilds.

----

EDIT⁴: The package has now been moved to a proper KoboStuff module.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-13-2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Package moved to KoboStuff
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote