View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #96
Mob201503
Mob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW3 (7th Gen), Android apps (KOReader, Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Just a KUAL extension for ota binaries rename/restore.
Reboots automatically, no need to kill the processes manually.
Hi there,

I recently got LanguageBreak working on my PW3 running 5.16.2.1.1, and am having a whale of an ereading time with KOReader, thanks to all you smart cookies here in mobileread Kindle Developer's Corner.

My sole concern is the risk of the Kindle unwantedly being updated, and losing LanguageBreak / KUAL / KOreader.

I have renameotabin installed and it seems to be doing its job fine since installing LanguageBreak at the end of last month.

In KOreader, I try to always switch Wifi on only when needed, but sometimes forget to switch it off and might not discover this until the next day. So far, there's been no calamity, and "Update Your Kindle" has remained constantly greyed out since initial install of LanguageBreak & renameotabin.

But I remain concerned.

I know renameotabin comes with no warranty, and that there been issues with particular devices. But for my peace of mind, can someone please clarify a few things for about how renameotabin works?

1) I monitor the Kindle fairly regularly for unwanted partial bin files, but if these are somehow being downloaded in the background, where (to which folder) exactly would they be getting downloaded and would I be seeing them? Directly to the root folder that contains for example the "documents", "extensions" and "koreader" folders? Would they be hidden files and would I therefore need to show hidden files in Windows to see them?

2) Is it sufficient to run "Rename" in Rename OTA binaries in KUAL just one time after initially installing the renameotabin extension, or is it necessary to hit "Rename" here again each time you reboot the Kindle?

3) I prefer using KOReader (no framework) in KUAL as it feels snappier than standard KOReader given the extra RAM it commands. But using 'no framework' reboots the Kindle, both on entering 'no framework' mode and on exiting back to Kindle OS. So whilst using KOReader in 'no framework mode, is the Kindle OS completely dormant/disabled until the device is rebooted, or is the Kindle OS still operating in the background in parallel to KUAL, and could it be downloading bin files (in the background), that could theoretically then be installed on rebooting into the Kindle from 'no framework' mode, in the unfortunate if unlikely event of a of a problem in renameotabin?

I know these concerns probably verge on the paranoid to most users of this forum, and certainly expose my complete lack of knowledge of / familiarity with how these methods and extensions actually work and interact with the Kindle.

Would appreciate a light shed though.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mob201503; 02-03-2024 at 05:30 AM.
Mob201503 is offline   Reply With Quote