View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I've been a subscriber to the NY Times for a long time, and when I heard they were in talks with Sony about publishing for the reader, (not that they probably cared) I sent an email to their subscription department with some ideas for e-copies of their paper I'd be happy to pay for. One of the things I listed was the ability to transfer the rights, possibly using their rights server to exchange the keys or something and transfer "ownership" to someone else. When I'm done with my paper, the neighbour reads it.

It actually seems like something that would be very useful for an eBook - the ability to have a second-tier market... the publishers could even get their fat fingers in on it by managing the key exchange when you "sell" the book and take a small cut or something. I don't think it would ever happen, though. A "second hand" digital book is still in perfect condition, whereas many people are willing to pay the "new" premium for a paper book. There's GOT to be some compromise, though. I hate not having an easy way to lend a book to a friend when it's DRMd...
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote