View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Lightbulb Fixing slow PDFs

Hi all

I was wondering if any of you who are complaining about Onyx Boox 90 being slow with some PDFs has tried to fix the pdf by:
  • splitting the PDF in smaller docs
  • optimizing the PDF -Adobe Acrobat and others like it can do various things with PDF files.
There are a couple of PDF formats and I was wondering if you guys would like to start experimenting with different formats. I do not have the device but I am willing to help with converting between PDF formats (where possible) and with optimizing PDFs

A possible clue why some PDFs are slow when loaded, can be found here

There are two layouts to the PDF files—non-linear (not "optimized") and linear ("optimized"). Non-linear PDF files consume less disk space than their linear counterparts, though they are slower to access because portions of the data required to assemble pages of the document are scattered throughout the PDF file. Linear PDF files (also called "optimized" or "web optimized" PDF files) are constructed in a manner that enables them to be read in a Web browser plugin without waiting for the entire file to download, since they are written to disk in a linear (as in page order) fashion.[10] PDF files may be optimized using Adobe Acrobat software or QPDF.

I believe that linearity might be a cause for slower loading in your case too, I believe that the PDF viewer that Onyx implemented might be affected by this although it is not a browser.

Please either post PDFs that are giving you hard time or let't get in touch and send me the files. Alternatively you can upload them on file sharing servers and post the link here. This last method will have the advantage of allowing all Onyx owners to try the file.
Let't work together on this!

Thanks
PF

PS: for an introduction in PDF formats please read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 10-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote