Old 02-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #1195
lachlan383
lachlan383 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Silver
Hi All, first of all, thanks to ixtab, this image saved my bricked Kindle 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexenwahn View Post
Hey,

Has anyone managed to get past the java missing files/autostart.sh issue?

I'm booting from a USB stick and tried to do the steps in autostart.sh but I'm getting nowhere...I must be doing something wrong.
I think I had the same issue as mentioned above. I'm using a Windows 10 x64 PC. I installed the USB image and tried to boot (it failed in UEFI mode with the message throwing shade at Apple, but changing to "legacy boot" mode in my BIOS allowed me to boot). Then I got into Grub and into Kubrick, but I got the message saying that it couldn't find the files on my USB, then the errors about Java and told me to have a look in autostart.sh.

The USB drive was definitely imaged correctly, and stepping through the steps in autostart.sh there didn't seem to be anything obvious - it correctly found the FAT32 partition (sdd1) with the marker file and boot image, so I have no idea why autostart.sh didn't work. I fiddled with this shell script for hours but can't figure out where the issue is, because running each command manually works correctly. In the end I gave up and rebooted into the USB image again, it failed again, this time I just entered:

Code:
$ sh autostart.sh
to re-run the script, and, it just worked. I repeated it a few times with the same result. I have no idea why, and I've spent quite a while trying to debug. My only guess is maybe autostart.sh runs before the filesystem on the USB flash drive has been recognised, so it misses the FAT32 partition on startup, but then sees it when run the second time.

As an aside, I bricked my kindle trying to set custom font sizes (I really want something between 21 and 25). It's a jailbroken Kindle 4 silver running FW 4.1.1. I've tried various things - using the kindle collections add on for Calibre to set the font size, editing reader.pref directly, and using ssh/usbnetwork & editing mobireader.jar & framework-api.jar. None of these changes caused any issues, but none of them have any effect, either. If I set FONT_SIZE to 23 or edit the .jars to give me 23 as an option, the kindle seems to use the next highest preset size (aka 25). if I set it to say, 20, it changes, but changes to size 21. It's as if the new firmware has additional checks locking text size to the preset values. Not asking for someone to do it for me, just asking if anyone has successfully set custom font sizes on a kindle 4 running 4.1.x FW.
lachlan383 is offline   Reply With Quote