Thread: Touch Firmware 2.1.4
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #132
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Glad more people are speaking up about the crappy UI advertising. I can only guess their marketing division is driving their UI designers because they sure are NOT listening to what their customers want. We say we want the advertising to be less obtrussive, they make it more so. We again speak out about it... they make it more so.

In 1.9.17, people cried out about the bottom screen having the previews across it, but we found out that we could set that to shortlist and we liked it (or at least some of us did) What happened, they changed it, added a Discover, Wishlist and other stuff and hid the shortlist from the Home screen. Now in 2.1.4, did you notice that the READING book covers are smaller now that the wishlist is all by itself on the bottom of the screen. Talk about clutter.

What they should have done instead is kept the 1.9.17 Home Screen UI and added a minimize option to the bottom book selection, combined the featured, discover, wishlist into it's own menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
...That said, I recognise that kobo wants to make it easy for us to buy books from them, and they should, but I felt that this fell on the wrong side of the line between making it simple for us to buy their books and cluttering our nice simple homescreen...
Sure of course they want to sell books and have a right to, but damn fix the methods by which we buy the books, make the website more user friendly, shopping cart anyone? Deligate the shopping aspect to the Kobo Desktop app as well rather than on the reader. While I don't use the desktop app to do any book shopping I do however use it to look at my previews and add to my wishlist. Well I did until I found out that if I log out my wishlist actually disappears.

Why do I rag on Kobo so much, am I just disgruntled with them. Yes and No. The Kobo has one main use... to read books and it does it very well for the cost but it could be so much better... I think they have a lot of potential but there is so little implementation.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote