View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Running fsck on a mounted filesystem is much more likely to corrupt the filesystem.

I woud go for a description of the pitfalls in both choices, let the user shoot themselves in their own choice of foot (left or right). Much better than making the choice for the end-user without mention that alternatives exist.
When running diags SSH, the mmcblk0p1 filesystem is not mounted, so it is safe to check or repair it with fsck. Also, it is safe to check a mounted filesystem with the "-n" parameter (no repair), as I showed in my example.

If you try to repair a mounted filesystem, you *should* get a severe warning that you will probably corrupt it if you choose to continue.

I prefer checking the image file instead of the filesystem, just so that there is no chance of corruption of a partition.

EDIT: I am not making any choice for the end user. I am just showing a way that worked for me. If people want to do other stuff (including potentially dangerous stuff), that is their choice to make, not mine or yours. Suggesting untested alternatives only adds to the confusion. I want to keep things simple. I try to provide solutions that I have tested on DX/DXG/K3/K4/K5. Suggesting things that only work on specific firmware versions when a simple "universal" solution exists only adds to the confusion. Suggesting things that have not even been tested on a kindle adds to the confusion. The Signal-to-Noise-Ratio is low enough already. Let's not make it worse. Please...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote