Thread: New firmware
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaikin View Post
How can I tell? I paid 15 bucks for it. Once opened it seems ok.
It may not necessarily be bad code; just stupid production values.
Never mind the page count: what's the file size? I've generally found file size to be the best predictor of load times. Anything over 1MB is going to take time enough to be noticeable and anything over 2MB will make you wonder if its hung-up. (Which, so far, has never happened to me. But I *have seen load times of 5-plus minutes.)

The ePub standard allows a lot of crap to be designated as mandatory and bundled in to the file; graphics, hardwired formatting, fonts... You can even have an ebook that is nothing but scanned images. (Basically they did their best to turn an HTML/XML based format into a PDF.)

eBook-savvy publishers know to ignore all that optional stuff and use good web/page layout practices. Others... don't. So some epubs (and commercial ones are the worst offenders) are bloated with junk.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote