View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #87
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteob View Post
yes but what about the times I am not connected to the net?I can use Word offline which is a huge benefit. I also use lots of great third party programmes that I value such as Calibre, Winrar, MIRC etc which i can get onto Windows or OS but not onto the Chromebook. Only google sanctioned stuff is allowed.

Maybe walled garden is not the right description but it is certainly a tethered device and that is what turns me off.
You can use a chromebook offline.

It is a complete falsehood that only Google-sanctioned stuff is allowed.

There are web app equivalents for WinRAR and MIRC.

Clearly if there are specific Windows or OSX programs that you need then a chromebook isn't for you (in the same way that there are specific Mac programs that might stop you buying a Windows machine).

You're right that there will be applications like Calibre that don't have web-based equivalents (although if you have your Calibre library running on a desktop at home you could certainly access it from a Chromebook), but HTML5 is still really in its infancy.

Like you, a chromebook probably isn't for me as a primary machine at the moment - I have specific music, writing, mapping and gaming applications that don't yet have web-based analogues, but as a second machine? It's worth considering.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote