View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Mencken
Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Hi all, I just read about Calibre in another thread and it looks interesting.

From what I can tell, it replaces the Sony Reader software on the PC/Mac.

Currently, I'm happy with using Evernote to upload quotes I highlight in the e-books I read and it's great because I can't accidentally edit the quotes. My full solution is outlined here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225769

However, issue with the Sony Reader software is that there isn't a 'real' cloud solution other than the Evernote functionality.

What can Calibre do better than the Sony Reader software?

Thank you!
When I first got interested in an ebook, the reading and research I did on them made me think, A-ha, this is a flash drive with a screen.

Somehow somewhere along the way of this reading and research, I stumbled upon this thing called Calibre. Well, I was never interested in purchasing books from any online anything; I had noticed too much out there online that was there simply for the downloading. Calibre, then, interested me.

So I purchased a Sony PRS-300 (I think that's the model number of it) and never even clicked on or installed the Sony bookstore thingy. I think I posted here once asking whether I could or should removed that software since I wasn't going to be using it.

So here I am -- what? -- two years down the road with my PRS-300, using Calibre, and I'm utterly content, not having been through the doors of a B&N or BAM but once or twice since.

If you want to read the latest stuff, I guess, you'd need the Sony bookstore. But for downloading from the Mobileread library or Google books, I don't know of any use for the software.

Also, the conversion features of Calibre are excellent for me. I sometimes use the add-on (can't remember the name of it) that converts wiki pages to epub. There is another add-on that converts Word docx to ebpub that I use frequently. (I've found that conversion to lfr produces for my tastes a book with a better feel.)

In short, if you're not buying books online but simply downloading them, Calibre is excellent.
Mencken is offline   Reply With Quote