View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Here's a contest which I personally would love even though I'd never ever win it:

Prizes for those nominated-and-voted/selected as the most helpful members on MR. Members' efforts which might be rewarded could include software creation, extensive firmware modification, ebook contributions to the Patricia Clark Library and sustained and active support on jailbreaking threads. Many of the people who do these things devote massive amounts of time to end users like me but can't even afford to buy certain of the readers they're asked repeatedly to test. In my opinion, those people make this site not only fun but invaluable. I'd rather see those people rewarded than anyone else including myself.

==========================

Am I alone in wanting this?: People whose join dates and sole contributions to MR involved posts solely on the last contest thread, and who have now received their prizes, to post -- here or anywhere else on the site -- about a dozen times at least just to show they really are interested in the community. The only reason I can see to condone one-sided reward-seeking is if the idea is simply to induce new members to join for the sake of numbers. (But even then, why not obligate them to contribute a bit as well?)

If new members don't contribute, and the idea wasn't simply to increase registered user numbers, then please consider this idea next time:

Limiting eligible contestants to those who joined MR before the contest and have posted a minimum of twenty times. Many other sites do this for their contests, though in this case I've made the posting minimum lower than any I've seen.
You're not alone in wanting to find ways to honor those who have contributed heavily to MobileRead. In the Editor's Domain not so long ago, the idea was floated about a contest that involved members voting on those who have been the most helpful over the years. While such an idea has much to commend it, several of us felt that singling out certain members for things they've done to help other members might lead to jealousy and the feeling of being slighted by members who felt their contributions were ignored; and let's face it: when honors are meted out, there are always some people who are equally deserving and in some cases perhaps even more deserving of honors than those who end up actually being recognized. People involved in the decision making process try to be fair, but even so sometimes inadvertently overlook or simply aren't themselves aware of how much some members contribute.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote