View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I used to gobble up the various books of a series as they were published, but I don't anymore. Partly because I absolutely HATE cliffhangers -- it's the most overused marketing technique that requires the least amount of literary talent to employ -- and partly because I no longer enjoy long, sprawling, never ending series in the speculative genre. "THE SERIES" has become a crutch for readers, authors and publishers alike. I like a Beginning, a Middle, and an End to take place between two "covers"... then I like to move on to something new. Unfortunately, most readers and authors in my favorite genre don't share my views.

Stand-alone seems to be a curse word in the SciFi/Fantasy genre anymore. Thank god for the likes of Guy Gavriel Kay, Tim Powers, Michael Stackpole, Dan Simmons (later works), Charles de Lint and the like!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote