View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
gmayo
gmayo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something on your computer is interfering with the calibre worker process calibre-file-dialog.exe which is used to display the open file dialog. Most likely your antivirus/security program, or a program that install windows shell extensions. Either you will have to find and disable the program or you can use the
CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS environment variable as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
I agree something has changed. I added an ebook at the end of February as I normally do and had no problrm. When I went to add another book a few days ago, I had the issue described in this post. I read through the online help which suggested the problem was likely to be as you said. I turned off antivirus entirely but same issue. I have used ShellExView as suggested to look at the shell extensions and in conjunction with Control Panel/programs to look for anything installed from the end of February. Nothing stands out yet as there only appears to have been some updates of previously installed programs. I guess it will be a slow process of turning things off until I find the culprit.

You also mentioned setting an environment variable. No problem to do that but i did not know what value to give the variable.

Thanks again for your response.
gmayo is offline   Reply With Quote