View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #50
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
OK here we go:

Pros: FOLDER VIEW!!!, very crisp and sharp lettering, the combination of buttons + touch screen, way faster pageturns. VERY nice overall reading experience. Battery life seems excellent so far.

cons:
-the left button does not have the same feeling as the right button when pressed, which makes it feel a bit awkward. But it works perfect.
-Sometimes when the screen is tapped the page does not turn, and when tapped again (or sweeped, or button pressed) 2 pages are turned.
-Slow response in the library (but that was also my opinion of the Kobo, I guess Ereaders just are slow. the Odyssey is faster than the Kobo though!).
-If you push a button repeatedly, every push will have a reaction so you have to be patient and wait for the reaction after each push, or you spend a few minutes flashing through your library without any control over it.
-Very Crappy dictionary but it's ok I guess, I got one working that finds almost every word. Kobo was a lot better.
-There is a little grey shadowy area on the bottom of the screen when the FL is lit, but this does in no way interfere with the reading. Kobo was more uniform though.

My first impressions of the Kobo screen were mixed emotions. It looked very soft and clean but the letters looked more grey than black. And the background looked too yellowish without the Glo activated. Compared to this, the Bookeen looks really sharp, just perfect.
The LED's are more visible on the Bookeen than on the Kobo but I don't feel the need to alter my reading angle.

I dont care about PDF, I have a tablet for that. I also don't care about certain settings like 25 different front types and sizes or making both buttons "page forward",.... The more choice you have, the more doubts.

Overall: 8/10 (which is pretty amazing, I would have given my Kobo a 3/10)

It's only about user comfort and reading experience to me, not about 100 different settings and options, all for the same thing.

CONCLUSION:
I have fast access to any of my 3000+ books in the library, The screen is excellent, pages turn very fast. My battery life looks excellent too, I read a 200 page book and there is not one bar from the batterylife meter. So far I'm very happy with it. The only annoying thing is the occasional not responding of the screen to a tap.

Caution when ordering with Cultura: The advertise an original Bookeen cover (for 25 Euro), but send you an imitation. It still looks and feels nice but mine only fits for like 95%. So when I'm reading, my fingers automatically go looking for the parts that dont fit well, like a tic or something. Anyway I sent them an email and they didnt reply. So I opened a dispute on Paypal for this. They should give me a fair discount or send me the advertised product.
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote