View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #151
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Sinofsky moved to Windows because the development process that led to Vista was broken.
Really?

The main reason people didn't like Vista was User Account Control. This wasn't a problem with the development process, just with marketing and the public not being prepared for the downsides of a more secure system.

If I want an approximation of my little freeware program (see my sig line) to run under Windows RT, it will cost me $49 a year for the store registration fee. If this discouragement of freeware and open source development had been part of the Vista package, it would have been yet another example of the horrors of Microsoft Vista. But even negative Win8/WinRT reviews fail to mention it, because Apple has paved the way with its own app store that is even less open-source-friendly than Microsoft's.

Windows 8 will rise or fall more based on whether it fits with the Zeitgeist than with whether Steven Sinofsky was better at whipping a development organization into shape than was his predecessor.

P.S. I don't mean to harshly criticize the $49 fee. It's much cheaper than a code signing certificate, and gives both user and developer at least as much protection.

P.P.S. This is one of those posts where I'm not sure I'm right. Maybe Vista was worse than I think. But I did use it for 4 years at home, while using, and programming for, XP in my office, and I like Vista better.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote