View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
I'm not sure how to best word this; apologies if I'm unclear.

Is there a way to create a custom column that has an auto-complete function which would be populated on-the-fly from the existing values across the entire library of another column?

Perhaps an example would be best...

I have a file of an anthology book (Flatlander, by Larry Niven), which contains 5 short stories. I also have those 5 short stories as separate files.

I'd like a custom column for the anthology, "Contains", where I can select all of those individual short stories as part of the anthology. The behavior would be similar to how the "author" column auto-completes what you're typing based on the existing values across the entire Library - just in this case, it would provide suggestions from the "title" field.

So Flatlander's "Contains" field would have the values, "Death by Ecstasy, The Defenseless Dead, ARM, The Patchwork Girl, The Woman in Del Rey Crater".

Alternately, is there already some built-in way to manage anthologies that I'm utterly unaware of?
A couple of suggestions.

If you have hundreds of collections and anthologies, generate a csv catalogue and do this in a spreadsheet. Long time since I did spreadsheets but I think lookup columns are fairly simple. The result could be pasted into a calibre field.

If you have less than 100 it might be faster and easier to copy the TOC from each book and either paste as is into a comments type column or edit it to include seperators and paste it into a tags type column. A bit more complex for anthologies with multiple authors, but doable.

Using cut and paste from the calibre viewer to a comments type column takes a few seconds per book.
If you need it as tags, you could generate a catalogue of those books only either csv or html and edit/paste into tags typ column.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote