View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #140
Slayer48
Slayer48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
You first have to disable the Special Offers. See here.

For all of you who think it is somehow unethical to do that, may I remind you that the Kindle runs GNU Linux. You are completely within your right to add files on the operating system (in this case a blank .assets file) as per the GPL.
ok total newb here so bear with me please. I tried to disable the ads following your instructions and when I get to the part where you create the text doc in the system folder, I create the file (g.txt) then go back and open the command window and when I type in (ren g.txt .assets) and hit enter it says it can't find the file. Am I doing it wrong, if so can you please explain it to me.

Also in this tutorial
(4. ssh into the device with putty
5. delete or rename the .assets folder located in /mnt/us/
6. delete or rename /var/local/adunits directory
7. delete or rename /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/adunits/600x800/banner.gif and screensvr.gif
8. delete or rename /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
9. create a link from /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 to your own screensavers (/mnt/us/screensaver): ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800) Can someone please explain to me how to delete or rename these files,how to get to them and also how to create the link between the screensaver folders/files.
Any help would be appreciated.
Slayer48 is offline   Reply With Quote