View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
any better ideas ? (image resizing)

i'm currently converting HarryT's illustrated editions of Jane Austen to imp format. My problem is, the images are too big for the eb1150 screen. the conversion process will automatically shrink them, but for some incomprehensible reason, it will only shrink to fit *horizontally*, so the bottom of the image is cut off since the proportions of these images are taller / narrower than the eb1150 screen, and to further complicate matters every single image is a different size.

in order to preserve a maximum of quality, i am leaving them at their original size (who knows what screen size / resolution i will have in the future...), only modifying their proportions so they are homothetic to the screen by adding a margin to the sides (and keeping an original, unmodified set of images for archives).

since i am lazy, i am letting photoshop do the calculations. if i want to treat each image individually and therefore keep the image as large as possible while still being completely visible, my process is like this :

1. create a "dummy" image of the useable dimensions of the screen (taking into account the space for the header, side margins and status bar on the bottom) which through trial and error i have found to be approximately 310 x 430 px (those are the dimensions i'm using).

2. on img1 (from the book), image size (ctrl + alt + i), copy the current HEIGHT, cancel.

3. on dummy image : image size, verify that the dimensions are linked, paste height of other image ; copy resulting adjusted WIDTH, cancel.

4. back to img1, canvas size (ctrl + alt + c), verify that the canvas will be enlarged from the center out and fill color is white, paste new WIDTH, OK.

5. save img1 and close, repeat all steps on img2 etc...

The only idea for automating this process somewhat that i have thought of, is to find the *tallest* image of the group, find the necessary width for that, and enlarge *all* images to that width even if they are not as tall (for this i can make a script in photoshop, which will do all the images automatically). the drawback for this of course is that the images which are shorter / closer to the appropriate proportions to start with will be reduced unnecessarily in size, which seems rather a shame to me (although, it seems less of a shame each time i reformat an individual image manually ...).

perhaps someone has a better (=simpler) idea of how to do this ? if not, i'll change the title and you can just consider this a tutorial for your own conversions.

ideally of course, we could convince the developper(s) of eBook Publisher to release a new version which would fix that ridiculous bug, and take *both* dimensions into account when automatically resizing images... anybody know them ?

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-23-2008 at 02:40 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote