View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The "Russian guys" don't really need the dump. They (Comvel people) want the 700 dump so they could restore the reader's flash if the flasher messes it up. I guess, they don't want to restore it to 600, but want to be able to restore it to 700. Don't know why, if the 600 firmware really does work on 700 so well.

For some reason their nand programmer cannot read the flash that's on the 700, but it can read the one installed on the 600, and that is why they burned the 700 with the 600's image.

It is not clear, how to reburn the entire flash without taking the flash off the reader's main board and putting it into the flash burner. That's exactly what the Comvel's guys did. I don't see how this drastic "hacking method" can be the way to go for regular users.

So, for the time being I wouldn't be too hopeful about the prospects of turning the 700 into 600.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote