View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What it will do when you install it on your new PC is add the files from the cloud onto your new PC. You can do a selective sync if you only want to certain files to go on there.

Like I have my 10GB Calibre Library on DB and Desktop but I don't want it on my netbook. I have it set in the advanced settings of the program not to sync that folder to the netbook. I've never lost files yet.
Hey Blossom. I'm glad I'll be able to do a selective sync. My hdd on my laptop is half the size of my desktop, so I definitely don't want my Calibre library on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Backups are absolutely necessary.

I admit some frustration that the automatic ones are not as easy as they advertise.
I keep finding manual backups of whole directories are easier.
I think so too. And manual backups make it so much easier to access individual files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
That won't happen unless someone "deletes" folders or files from the Dropbox folder itself, whether it is on the PC hard drive, the laptop hard drive, or on a device such as a smartphone or tablet. If a file or folder is deleted, either from the Dropbox folder on the Web or one of the ones on a device/computer, then that file or folder in the Dropbox folder on all the other devices (using the same login or "shared" with someone else) are deleted as well.
I have a phone, a tablet, a netbook and a laptop and have never lost any data when adding a new device. I have however lost some when someone "sharing" a folder with me decided to clean up and make some room on their computer by deleting the shared folder in Dropbox on their hard drive. Luckily, I always have another copy backed up elsewhere...
That's good to know. Maybe that is what I remember reading - that a folder got deleted on one device and then dropbox automatically deleted it on the other device even though the person wanted and needed the folder. That sounds familiar.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote