View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #458
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@BetterRed - glad you got things figured out to something you are happy with. indeed now Count Pages will not have to do a (slow RTF) conversion in the background for every book - it just has to unzip the epub and parse the html within it hence the orders of magnitude speed difference.
There's always another way to skin the cat

The first post in this thread has

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude
Word count is optionally calculated independently of page count. As this is unavilable on a website, it is subject to the same limitations as estimating page count above, in that you must have either an ePub or a format convertible to ePub available for it to work.
As I wasn't interested in page counts, I skimmed the preceding paragraphs. I read the above as saying - if a book has an ePub then Count Pages will use it, otherwise there must be a format that Count Pages can convert to a temporary ePub.

Doesn't explain why it took 15 minutes at 98% CPU usage to Count Words when RTF was top of the Preferred Input list, but only 10secs at 15% CPU usage to convert the same book from RTF to ePub, with the same Preferences. Anyway that issue, for me at least, is now moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
And of course you can then be doing your editing of the ePub version of the book in the new shiny version of Sigil, rather than reconverting from RTF anyway...
Theoretically creating the EPUB is my final task. It has sub tasks - if ePub exists delete it, update metadata, convert RTF to ePub, count words, modify the ePub- finito.

My toolkit to get to the RTF uses C++, Office Interop and Word macros that I've developed over a long time. I'm not sure if it could be ported to the Sigil environment; but even if it could, there's no incentive to do that.

rp
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote