View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
@yvanleterrible, oddly enough, I haven't read the Foreigner series yet. I'll try one, based on your recommendation. While some might characterize Cherryh's works as "military SF," I've usually thought of them as more "sociological SF" because even those with military action seem to be much more about the clash of multiple cultures, and how it affects individuals. (This is perhaps most clear in Wave Without a Shore, in which the entire conflict is psychological and sociological.)

You might also like the works of David Brin (particularly Earth, Orson Scott Card, James Schmitz, or Sherri Tepper. Not because they "write like Cherryh" (nobody does), but because they also work with broad landscapes, alien cultures, and individuals.

And of course, for futurology, I'd be remiss not to recommend Heinlein.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote