View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Oh no! The phone's winning...

Allow me to explain...

I've always said I'd be using an e-reader instead of a phone, because of one thing: the fact that an e-reader is readable in bright sunlight. Still, I've been reading on my phone for the last couple of days.

Why?

Currently, my commute to work is very short compared to what I am used to; only 45 minutes from the moment I leave the house until I'm at my desk. It is divided up like this:

- Walk: 2 minutes, almost no waiting time.
- Travel by bus: 10 minutes-
- Wait for train: 8 minutes.
- Travel by train: 20 minutes
- Walk: 5 minutes.

I've noticed that for the short stretches, I was much more inclined to read some news on my phone as compared to picking up my e-reader. Therefore I've tried Moon+ (and later bought the Moon+ Pro version), and indeed, now I'm reading a book during the short intervals as well. Even when waiting for some short time, like an oven dish being baked for 20 minutes, I read a book because I carry my phone around in my pocket, which I don't do with the e-reader. In short, the chance of having my phone with me is almost 100%, while in case of the e-reader, I explicitly have to bring it.

Like they say in photography: the best camera is the one you have with you.

With regard to reading in bright sunlight, the phone (a Nokia 6, 2018 model) can cope with everything up until now, except when the sun is shining straight at the screen. The battery is so powerful (or the phone so economical) that I have never been able to deplete it in a single day.

Also, I like the night mode a lot. Sometimes, when there isn't enough ambient light, it becomes impossible to read using a front-lighted e-reader. It's just too bright, and when dimming it down to 1-2% or so, contrast becomes so low it's hard to read. With the phone, I've set the background to pure black and the letters to a dark orange, and I can read in complete darkness. I think that's going to be very convenient when I'm at my girlfriend's place. Often, I wish to read for another hour, sometimes longer, while she already sleeps. Then I have two choices:

1. Read in the living room and wake her up when I get to bed.
2. Read in bed in complete darkness using either the e-reader or a phone.

I don't like to wake her up unnecessarily. As said, a front-lit e-reader doesn't work for me in complete darkness. (I use the front-light to make the e-reader screen brighter, blending the front-light with the ambient.) The phone does seem to work.

Surprisingly, I actually like the narrow screen of the phone as compared to the KA1. I hadn't expected that.

So as of yet, it looks like the phone is starting to overtake the e-reader, even for me, just because:

- I read more (which I can actually determine from the stats in Moon+)
- I have it with me at all times
- It functions in some cases, where the e-reader doesn't (ver dim/dark surroundings)
- Its greatest disadvantages, bright sunlight and shorter battery life, seem to have been mitigated to a great extent. The screen is readable in every but the most extreme sunlight, and I've never been able to run the battery to ground as of yet. With light usage and a lot of reading, it still lasts me two days.

If I encounter no great disadvantages in the near future, it might be R.I.P. e-reader...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote