Thread: CSS / dropcaps
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I have to admit that I am tiring of drop-caps and probably won't use them in future e-books (though I will in print editions).

And in response to the question of how to define where drop-caps won't work: they won't work in KF7. That's the format that goes to the (diminishing proportion) of traditional Kindle readers, as opposed to the Fire and its sistren. A mobi file on the Amazon store contains both a KF7 and a KF8 book, and it delivers the requisite one to the device or app the customer selects for delivery.
Well, I thought that this discussion had been had, but: no, of course not, drops don't work in K7, but with nominal media-query coding (and, actually, you can make this work sans media queries) you can use a fallback styling of a Raised Initial. K7 doesn't have float, which is needed for drops. {Shrug}. I don't think every book needs a drop--but I do like some type of incipit for the first line, whether it's smallcaps, bold, whatever. Of course, that's just personal taste, but our clients rather like it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote