View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: Note that a fully static host toolchain and fully statically linked target binaries are two different beasts. (By 'host' I'm referring to our native Linux distro or whatever you run your TC from, and 'target', the Kindle)...
Heh yeah I see my basic error. Still the principle is mungleable into the same Venn diagram : )

I think I do really want the ability to generate fully static bins going forward and I am going to try out the Crosslib-ng route via buildroot. why not : )

It has a custom skeleton that I am playing with getting something like and once I figure how to splat SYSROOT or/and --prefix / LD_LIBRARY_PATH and anything else I donīt know about yet but really need into it I will look into creating some tools that eventually free us from the need for it.

Iīm into my nth (read over 20 30?) incorrect build of my tools but never let utter failure get you down I always think.

the flameeyes links I posted I hoped might provide the correct interim measures that could be a) applied to re-purpose the binaries created during the configure stage for the correct load paths for our target and then b) further process used to correctly seat the resultant created installs into said paths created by fs/skeleton.

True the configuration details are buildroot specific and perhaps no-one can help who hasnīt used it but that doesnīt stop me asking here, and of course continuing to dig on the buildroot site itself.

At least I didnīt embarrass myself by asking the question I was going to ask about x-compiling that had a known solution. Iīm trying to save up my questions on that mailing list for the really important stuff. Should we find some. My inability to set basic compiler flags doesnīt qualify. Please someone point me at a man page and hopefully a guide? @___@

One would imagine the section marked PreProcessor Flags (The only section with any such argument entering capability) would be the one to splat stuff at. but --prefix=/mnt/us seems to go ignored - even with the relevant skeleton in place. Clearly PEBCAK.

Sigh, I wish I knew more so I can get stuff done faster, I would be of more use. Still thatīs what this whole life thing is all about I suppose.

So yeah. Thanks for the tips. If anyone has a dumbasses guide to splatting stuff into the configures / compiler / etc that would be great. Iīll be pillaging Google in the meantime. Perhaps in the next couple of weeks a day could go by where I donīt have to learn a new skill.

Perhaps.

Further reading for me http://free-electrons.com/blog/buildroot-2011-11/

Last edited by twobob; 08-13-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: 30? 40? sigh + further reading
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote